Sunday, July 09, 2006

in which I avoid talking about anything but myself

To a multiplex to see Superman Returns and Pirates of the Caribbean : Dead Man's Chest. It's far from cool to say so, but Superman has always been my favorite superhero, despite his lack of any sort of dark side (DC at various times has tried to market various "bad" Supermans, including an ultra-patriotic version who only sees things without "liberal" shades of grey, but the conceptions never seem to take hold--although there was a series a few years back where Supey was a Soviet hero--I'd love to read that sometime). Much of this is nostalgia, because the first superhero comic I ever owned was Superman (on trial for murder, and organizing the league of Super-Pets) given to me as a 5-year-old, against my parents wishes, by a family friend. A few years later, the first comic book I ever bought with my own money ("You spent your allowance on that?!?!"--25 cents) was an 80-Page Giant Superman featuring Tales from the Bizarro World. And I was off! I think the thing about Superman is precisely that he is such a blank canvas that you can do anything with him and, as long as he remains genial, it works. In the late 50s and 60s, when they were sending Batman into space to fight giant starfish, and having him meet Batmite, it just irritated fans, but Superman could turn into a half-ant/half-man or fight Giant Turtle Olsen, and it still remained (and remains) within the realms of "possibility". Superman, despite his demeanor, really doesn't have any dignity as a character. That's why I even like Superman 3, with Richard Pryor. So I quite enjoyed this new movie, it's surprisingly lyrical. I suddenly find myself with no time to write about it though. So:
Final shot: Superman flies away from the camera.
And Pirates: Also a lot of fun--I liked it better than the first one, although in some ways Johnny's performance is superfluous in this one, upstaged by any number of things. I do love Kevin McNally as his first mate. It's too long--makes me wish we still had serials, because 15-minute chapters would really be the way to view this (and, I'm sure, the next one). I have no use for Kiera and Orlando, as characters or as actors, in anything.
Final shot: it hardly counts, as it is really just a set-up for the next chapter: It's a surprise close-up of a special guest star.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home