Friday, June 23, 2006

In which I see the wrong movie

The Bollywood Expert and I went to Totem Lake to see Fanaa, but the information on their website was incorrect and Fanaa wasn't playing, so we saw Krrish instead. Krrish is a superhero movie, and what most impressed me about the movie is that the first manifestation of the hero's superpowers is, as a 5-year-old, his uncanny artistic ability! Now that's a superhero! It's just photorealism, but I'd rather have that power than, say, heat vision. Played by the ridiculously handsome Hrithik Roshan, (the only movie star in the world to have three thumbs, Lon Chaney style), Krrish, short for Krishna, is kind of a simpleton. Like Michael Jackson, all his friends seem to be 10-year-olds. Afterwards, The Bollywood Expert kept saying, "Poor baby. I so wanted him to have a hit." I loved the scene where he rescues Priyanka Chopra (every bit his equal in superhuman beauty) from a hang-gliding crash, and they spiral downwards in slow motion, brushed by the branches, the wind blowing their hair while they gaze into each other's eyes. Ain't love grand? The musical numbers were painless; they did The Hitchhike in every one. I would really appreciate it if all romantic comedies replaced the getting-to-know-each-other montage o'fun with full-fledged musical numbers. Why let Fall Out Boy or whoever do all the heavy lifting? I'd like to see John Cusack and Diane Lane break into a s9ng and dance routine! Emotionally it feels more realistic to me than watching them play miniature golf. I always feel like singing and dancing when I'm in love--doesn't everyone? Besides, a musical number would improve any bad movie.
Final shot: tableau of four protagonists.
I actually preferred the 1987 Hindi ripoff of Superman in which Superboy breakdances to "Beat It" and accidentally kills his foster father by hugging him too tightly. Now that's tragedy!
There was a trailer for an upcoming Shah Rukh Kahn movie: The Bollywood Expert said, "I know the guy who wrote that movie. He writes bad movies."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home